1 injured in apartment complex fire in Mount Vernon

Posted: Updated:
MOUNT VERNON -

Officials say a refrigerator outlet may have been the cause of a fire at an apartment complex in Mount Vernon.

The flames sparked Thursday night on Rochelle Terrace.

People living at the complex were evacuated because of the heavy amount of smoke.

One man living on the fourth floor says he helped people get out through a fire escape.

Crews were able to contain the fire to one apartment.

Officials say one person suffered a minor injury. 

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."