Officials: Burnt out Mt. Vernon home ran on generator

Posted: Updated:
MOUNT VERNON -

A fire that destroyed a house in Mount Vernon has left three people homeless and a slew of unanswered questions. 

Fire officials say there was no gas or electric service at 401 Numbers Ave. and the tenants were using a generator to power the home. Neighbors say they believe the generator caused the fire. 

Police, fire and Department of Buildings officials are trying to get to the bottom of what happened. It was not immediately clear if they think the fire was suspicious. 

They are attempting to determine if the home was illegally subdivided and what role the landlord played in renting the home that may not have been up to code. 

No one was hurt during the incident, but a dog died in the blaze.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."