Attempt to stay warm sparks Mount Vernon house fire

A fire broke out in a Mount Vernon building Thursday when a woman attempted to keep herself warm in the suddenly cold weather.Four families are displaced after flames ripped through the apartment building at 193 West Lincoln Avenue. Residents say the fire was sparked when a woman lit her oven, trying to keep warm. Tenants say the building was without heat and that is why the woman attempted to use her oven to keep warm. The building manager, Ricardo Zamudio, maintains the city shut off the gas.The fire chief says the families won't be allowed back into their apartments until the building department inspects which floors, if any, are safe to occupy. In the meantime, the American Red Cross is providing housing for all 20 displaced residents. The woman who accidentally started the fire has been hospitalized.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."