Family blames pet food for beloved pooch's death

A New Rochelle family claims its beloved Pomeranian was the victim of tainted pet food that's blamed for several animal deaths nationwide.

The Colemans are mourning 14-year-old Sebastian who died last month while the family was on vacation. Michael and Lisa Coleman say their pet sitter called them saying the dog was lethargic, suffering from diarrhea and vomiting. The Coleman's eventually allowed a vet to put the animal to sleep.

Menu Foods, which manufactures several brands of dog and cat food, told retailers Friday to pull products from store shelves. The recall includes "cuts and gravy" style food made between December 3, 2006 and March 6, 2007. The FDA believes rat poisoning may have tainted some of the wheat from China that was used to make the food. Menu Foods says it will pay for customers' vet bills.

However, the Colemans say picking up the tab will do little to ease the pain of losing their dog.

Related Information:U.S. Food and Drug Administration

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."