Fire damages 100-year-old Dobbs Ferry school

Authorities say a 113-year-old building at the Masters School was damaged by a fire Monday morning.

The fire broke out in the kitchen of a third-floor apartment at Esterwood Hall, a faculty and staff residence hall. A kitchen appliance may be to blame.

The fire chief says the building was a mansion before it was divided into apartments, so finding the source of the fire was difficult.

No teachers or students were hurt, but three other apartments were damaged by water and smoke. One firefighter injured his hand trying to get past a metal security door in the building. He also suffered from exhaustion

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."