Three separate blazes keep area firefighters busy

Local fire departments had their hands full as two blazes broke out Sunday, sending occupants scrambling for safety.

Fire officials in Nanuet say smoking in bed was to blame for a fire at the Spring Valley Rest Home. Crews arrived to find a second-floor bedroom engulfed in flames. Fortunately, the 36 residents were able to escape uninjured.

In Pearl River, authorities say three propane tanks ignited a fire on a family's deck. Fire shot up the side of the West Towline Road home, but authorities say no one was hurt.

Meanwhile, investigators are looking into a fire that broke out in Monsey Saturday at an unoccupied building that was once a synagogue. Firefighters say the Herrick Avenue fire threatened nearby buildings. Officials say people are allowed to burn controlled fires for a Jewish holiday as long as they have a permit. However, they say they did not receive a permit for the Herrick Avenue address.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."