Noxious smell forces Cortlandt Manor store evacuationPosted: Updated:
Firefighters evacuated a Cortlandt Manor store Wednesday after a noxious smell made several workers sick.
Before the Kohl?s department store opened for business, about 20 workers noticed a foul odor. When firefighters arrived, they found several workers complaining of nausea and dizziness. One workers suffered an asthma attack, possibly triggered by the smell, and was sent to the hospital.
Firefighters discovered the odor came from a battery powered floor cleaning machine that was charging overnight. The battery overheated and caused the smell. The store reopened for business later in the morning.