Faulty wiring apparently to blame for Mt. Vernon fire

Faulty wiring is apparently to blame for an apartment fire in Mount Vernon Tuesday that left at least a dozen people homeless.

Firefighters were on the scene around 8:40 p.m. at South Eighth Avenue within minutes of getting the call. They arrived to find the third floor of the building engulfed in flames. Residents say flames were bursting through the walls.

The building co-owner says the fire started shortly after a repair on a fuse box took place. Fire officials believe bad electrical wiring probably sparked the fire.

No one was injured in the fire, however, residents will not be able to move back in for a while.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."