Ossining couple escapes as fire engulfs home

An Ossining couple is lucky to be alive after fire engulfed their home Friday.

The Chins were awoken by smoke alarms in their Ellis Place home around 3 a.m. A neighbor spotted the smoke and called the fire department. When Mr. Chin began looking for the source of the smoke, he was burned as flames came roaring up his basement steps.

When firefighters arrived at the scene, the home was fully engulfed. It took firefighters several hours to completely put out the fire. The floors collapsed shortly after the firefighters arrived, hampering their efforts. Officials believe the fire started in the basement in or around the heating system. They say the cause is probably accidental.

The Chins? home will have to be demolished.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."