Mt. Vernon rat problem leaves family homeless
City officials are moving to condemn an apartment complex Monday after a rat problem has caused unsafe living conditions.
The problem started about two weeks ago, and city officials have since tried to rid the problem. They had the area cleared and laid down poison. However, the problem then turned into a dead rat problem, as one family claims the poisoned rodents crawled into the walls and died, creating a horrible stench.
The Bryan family, who lives in the complex, was told to find another place to live, but they haven?t been able to make arrangements to date. Family members claim city officials did not tell them about plans to condemn the building.
Meanwhile, the building?s landlord says the whole rat problem is a hoax. ?They went to the pet store and they buy fake rats, take pictures with it on the glue trap, and show you guys the video,? Hopeton Willis said.
Mount Vernon Mayor Ernie Davis is rumored to be meeting with the building landlord at some point on Monday.
Officials at the Mount Vernon United Tenants office say they are hoping to help the Bryan family find another home.