Burning cigarette sparks Mount Vernon fire

Several Mount Vernon residents were forced out of their multi-family home Thursday after it went up in flames. Fire officials say the blaze started around 12:30 a.m. on West 3rd Street. Firefighters were able to get the flames under control after about 45 minutes. According to investigators, a cigarette sparked the fire on a mattress in the attic, which had been converted into a living area. Officials say a 35-year-old man living in the attic area was burned on his hand and thigh, but his injuries are reportedly not serious.

The house suffered smoke and water damage, but fire officials say the structure is strong. The seven people living in the house are receiving assistance from the Red Cross until they can move back in.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."