Ossining boy suffocates inside mattress cover

Police say an 8-year-old Ossining boy somehow got trapped inside a mattress cover and suffocated over the weekend.

According to police, Deveion Ferguson was playing in his bedroom when he apparently zipped himself inside his mattress cover Sunday. The boy?s grandmother, Gail Brinkley, claims she went to her grandson?s room when she didn?t hear him playing. At that point, police say she discovered that Ferguson was not breathing. Brinkley cut open the mattress cover, tried to revive Ferguson and called 911.

Ferguson was pronounced dead on Tuesday night at the Westchester Medical Center.

Police say the mattress cover is the type used to control allergens and provide a barrier against the effects of dust mites. Ferguson suffered from asthma, according to police. Detectives at the scene found the cover turned inside out and the zipper apparently stuck.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."