Firefighters battle flames and bitter cold in Hartsdale
The extremely cold weather caused complications for firefighters battling a house fire in Hartsdale Friday.
Officials say the fire started just after midnight behind a fireplace on the first floor of the Joyce Road home. All four occupants of the home got out safely. It took 40 firefighters less than an hour to get the three-alarm fire under control.
Firefighters say the biggest problem they faced was the bitter cold weather. They say water from the hoses quickly turned to ice, making for slippery conditions.
The fire was mostly contained to the back of the house, so the home was not completely destroyed. Fire officials say the fire serves as a reminder for residents who use a fireplace to have the chimney cleaned and checked.