Firefighters battle flames and bitter cold in Hartsdale

The extremely cold weather caused complications for firefighters battling a house fire in Hartsdale Friday.

Officials say the fire started just after midnight behind a fireplace on the first floor of the Joyce Road home. All four occupants of the home got out safely. It took 40 firefighters less than an hour to get the three-alarm fire under control.

Firefighters say the biggest problem they faced was the bitter cold weather. They say water from the hoses quickly turned to ice, making for slippery conditions.

The fire was mostly contained to the back of the house, so the home was not completely destroyed. Fire officials say the fire serves as a reminder for residents who use a fireplace to have the chimney cleaned and checked.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."