High carbon monoxide levels force building evacuation

Dangerously high carbon monoxide levels were found in a condemned Yonkers building Thursday, forcing those living there out into the cold.

The fire department evacuated tenants living at the Elm Street apartments after carbon monoxide levels were found to be 10 times higher than what is considered healthy. Fire officials say a collapsed chimney allowed fumes from the furnace to fill the apartments with the odorless, colorless gas.

City inspectors condemned four of the eight apartments in September of 2006. City officials say they discovered Thursday that the building had become an illegal rooming house.

An emergency shelter was set up at the Yonkers PAL building on North Broadway. The Red Cross is also stepping in to help residents with their immediate needs. The building?s owner, Elm Yonkers, LLC, will be responsible for helping the tenants relocate.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."