House under construction explodes in Scarsdale

An explosion destroyed a house under construction on Fayette Road in Scarsdale Thursday.

Contractors working in the home detected an odor of gas and called the fire department around 2:30 p.m. A fire broke out and then the explosion occurred. The impact of the blast caused the house to topple off its foundation and completely collapse.

Con Edison crews joined emergency service workers and the Scarsdale Fire Department to help after the explosion. No one was injured. The house was not inhabited and was almost complete before the blast.

Fire officials believe a contractor accidentally dislodged a gas line going into the house with an excavator. No other homes were damaged in the blast.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."