Port Chester diners evacuated after fire in restaurant

Diners at the Port Chester restaurant Barbeque had to evacuate the premises Sunday after a grease fire broke out in the kitchen.

More than 50 firefighters were on the scene shortly after the flames were sparked. Two families living in apartments above the establishment were evacuated as well.

Officials say the majority of the damage was sustained to the back of the building, including water damage and a collapsed ceiling. Port Chester Fire Chief Charles Nielsen says the damage could have been worse and almost spread.

"The chef tried putting it out, and it extended up into the grease duct and out into the roof," says Nielsen.

The evacuated families have been temporarily displaced. Fire officials expect them to be able to return to their homes later in the week.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."