Rye mansion goes up in flames

A Rye family was left homeless as a result of an overnight fire that ripped through their multimillion-dollar mansion.

Investigators say the fire broke out at 949 Forest Ave. around 9:30 p.m. Monday while the family was out for dinner. Dozens of firefighters battled the flames for more than two hours to get the blaze under control.

Fire officials say there is extensive damage to the basement and that there is major smoke damage throughout the home, making it unlivable.

No one was seriously hurt in the blaze. One firefighter was treated for smoke inhalation.

According to Rye fire officials, a faulty furnace in the basement of the house ignited the blaze.

Members of the family returned to the charred house Tuesday to salvage some of their belongings. The family is currently staying with relatives.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."