Fire destroys Lake Peekskill home

Fire officials say the blaze that destroyed a home at 98 Pleasant Road was likely caused by strong winds blowing a lit cigarette into an open window.

Neighbors say the fire started shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday, and within one hour the house was incinerated. Some report hearing explosions.

Although firefighters couldn't save the burning log cabin, they did keep the flames from hitting other houses endangered by the strong winds.

The cabin's owners, the Healy family, were on vacation in California when the fire started. MaryAnne Healy, a relative, says the family flies back Monday. The community, meanwhile, will be taking donations to help the family rebuild.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."