13 evacuated from hazardous Greenburgh apartment

A family of 13 was evacuated from their single apartment on Gibson Avenue after building inspectors, tipped off by neighbors, found several dangerous violations in their overcrowded, illegal apartment.

According to the inspectors, the home was a potential death trap, with melted wiring and a high risk of carbon monoxide poisoning. They say exhaust from the hot water heater vented directly into the basement, where five young children and their parents were living.

"It wasn't the question if someone was going to be asphyxiated or if there was going to be a fire, it was when," says inspector Robert Dam.

The city forced everyone to move out until the home is brought up to code. The family is now staying in local hotels with help from the Red Cross.

Inspectors say the landlord was deported prior to the evacuation and will face fines if he returns to the U.S.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."