Yonkers building evacuated due to CO

Two people were taken to the hospital and dozens were evacuated from a Yonkers apartment building yesterday because of carbon monoxide.

The incident happened at the Calcagno Apartments on School Street. Firefighters say two tenants living on the 12th floor were hospitalized with nausea and flu-like symptoms. Doctors determined they were exposed to carbon monoxide.

Firefighters equipped with CO detectors searched the building and detected high levels of the gas in the boiler room and on the top floor.

Carbon monoxide is considered to be hazardous when it is at 35 particles per million. The top floor of the building registered at least 500 particles per million.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."