NYC terror suspect pleads guilty
(AP) - A New York man who authorities say plotted withan admitted al-Qaida associate to set off homemade bombs in thecity's subway system pleaded guilty Friday to charges includingconspiracy to use weapons of destruction. Zarein Ahmedzay said in court in Brooklyn that he had receivedorders from leaders of the al-Qaida terrorist network to carry outthe foiled plot in September 2009 to bomb Manhattan subway lines.He also pleaded guilty to providing material support to al-Qaida. Authorities say he joined admitted al-Qaida associate NajibullahZazi and another friend from their Queens high school on a trip toPakistan in 2008 to seek terrorism training. Zazi, a Colorado airport van driver, admitted earlier this yearthat he tested bomb-making materials in a Denver suburb beforetraveling by car to New York with the intent of attacking thesubway system to avenge U.S. military involvement in Afghanistan. Ahmedzay and the third suspect, Adis Medunjanin, had previouslypleaded not guilty to charges they sought to join Zazi in whatprosecutors described as three "coordinated suicide bombingattacks" on Manhattan subway lines. The bombings were planned forthe days after the eighth anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorattacks, authorities said. Prosecutors say the attacks were modeled after the Londontransit system bombings in July 2005, when four suicide bomberskilled 52 people and themselves in an attack on three subway trainsand a bus. The alleged New York plot was disrupted in early September whenpolice officials stopped Zazi's car as it entered New York. Last month, an Afghanistan-born imam linked to the suspectspleaded guilty to lying to the FBI when asked about the men. He wassentenced to time served and ordered to leave the United States. Officials have said a fourth suspect is in custody in Pakistan,but have given no other details about him.