Study to lessen flooding coming to Westchester

Some of Westchester's most flood-prone communities may finally be getting some help after the Westchester County executive signed an agreement to bring an environmental study to the Sound Shore.

Rob Astorino signed an agreement this week with a colonel from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to follow up on a 20-year-old report on flood-prone areas like Mamaroneck that went unused.

The initial report was apparently overlooked because of the cost of the solutions it proposed. Mamaroneck Mayor Norman Rosenblum says that some of the things detailed in the report can be done immediately while the new study is under way.

The Army Corps of Engineers will pay for 75 percent of the study, with Westchester County and New York State splitting the remaining 25 percent.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."