Fire tears through Port Chester building

A fire tore through an apartment building in Port Chester earlier this week, forcing six families into the street.

Fire officials say the blaze at 236 Seymour Road started inside a grill on a third-floor concrete porch.

Residents say there are no smoke alarms in the six apartments where at least 40 people live. No one was hurt in the fire.

Port Chester officials are investigating the alleged absence of smoke detectors in the building and whether the apartments were overcrowded.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."