Four families left homeless after apartment building fire in Sleepy Hollow
(11/22/03) SLEEPY HOLLOW - Four families in Sleepy Hollow are homeless Saturday night after fire broke out in their apartment building. The fire started around 12:30 p.m. at 76 Beekman Avenue near Pocantico Street.
Fire fighters had the flames out in less than 20 minutes, but not before four families living in the building were forced from their homes. Nobody was hurt, and fire fighters were able to contain the flames to one apartment. Fire officials say the blaze could have been much worse had the fire spread to adjacent buildings.
Fire officials say an electrical short circuit caused the blaze. Members of the Red Cross are helping the families displaced by the fire.