Five-year-old Yonkers girl chokes to death on piece of candy

A 5-year-old girl from Yonkers choked to death on a ball of peppermint candy Tuesday at her daycare center in the Bronx.

Coralys Cruz, Jocelys Santiago?s mother, says her daughter was running up a flight of stairs to meet her when she suddenly choked on the candy. Cruz says her daughter stopped breathing and a teacher tried to resuscitate her. Santiago was rushed to Lincoln Medical Center where she was pronounced dead.

Cruz praises the teachers for trying to help her daughter. She also is warning parents to be aware of that type of candy so this tragedy doesn?t happen to another family.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."