Final farewell to Yonkers 5-year-old who choked on piece of candy

A Yonkers family said a painful goodbye to the 5-year-old girl who choked on a piece of candy and died last week. Despite their grief, the parents say they want to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else's child. Last week, Jocelys Santiago was about to meet her mother at a Bronx daycare when she began to choke on a ball of peppermint candy. Several efforts were made to save her, but it was too late. Jocelys? parents say they are determined to make sure their little girl did not die in vain. They want manufacturers to put a warning label on candy that can be a potential choking hazard, and say stores should not be selling candy to minors without an adult present.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."