New Castle fire, Yonkers fire that left four families homeless probed

Fire officials are investigating fires in New Castle and Yonkers, which left four families homeless Saturday.

Firefighters say they responded to the first fire around 2 p.m. on Van Cortlandt Park Avenue. While the flames did not spread, four families were left homeless and four firefighters suffered minor injuries. The Red Cross is providing shelter to those families. The apartment fire is under investigation, but has not been deemed suspicious.

Around 7 p.m., firefighters responded to a blaze at a New Castle home on Peck Road. More than 70 firefighters, led by the Mount Kisco Fire Department, dealt with a ruptured gas line. Officials say the fire may have started in the stove, which fell into the basement, causing the line to rupture. Neighbor Steve Lichtenfeld says he saw flames shooting out the roof. He says the elderly couple that lived there had recently moved out, and he believes they were in the process of selling the home.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."