2 families displaced after Mount Vernon fire

Two families are displaced after a fire raced through a Mount Vernon house.



The blaze broke out shortly after 5 p.m. at 146 Chester St.



The fire chief believes the fire began in the basement of the two-family house. 



Authorities say they speculate that the electrical setup in the house caused the fire. They say Con Edison shut the power off.



Officials say nobody was seriously hurt in the fire, but some tenants were treated for smoke inhalation.



It's unclear how long the residents will be displaced from the home. The Red Cross is helping at least six of the 10 find housing. 


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 20 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Spectrum Networks® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login or create an account to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."