Squatters may have sparked Yonkers fire
Fire officials say squatters may have sparked a fire this morning at a vacant three-family home in Yonkers.
Investigators say flames broke out on Maple Street just after 8 a.m. They say the fire started on the second floor of the house and spread quickly.
"We think squatters caused it because there was no electric in the building. It's supposed to be vacant," says Yonkers Fire Chief Brian Travers. Travers says the case is being handed over to arson investigators.
Dozens of firefighters were on the scene in minutes to knock it down, as the house is right around the corner from a station.
Officials tell us a several firefighters suffered minor injuries.