CO scare evacuates Rye Brook senior center

Carbon monoxide detectors are being credited for saving lives at a senior center in Rye Brook.



Authorities tell News 12 that one employee and one senior were inside when the carbon monoxide detector began sounding at the Anthony J. Posillipo Community Center just after 9 a.m. today.



The director at the center on Garibaldi Place called in the fire department, and firefighters found high levels of the deadly gas.



No one was hurt or taken to the hospital.



Firefighter say the detectors made a big difference in the outcome. "Last month we had a double fatality four blocks from here and they had no carbon monoxide detectors and this might've saved some people's lives," says Port Chester Fire Chief Ed Quinn.



Officials confirm that a faulty boiler caused high levels of CO. They say the building is being ventilated and will be closed until readings return to safe levels.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."