Rye Brook CO deaths ruled accidental

Authorities have ruled the carbon monoxide deaths of two people found inside their Rye Brook home accidental.



The bodies of Carl Persson, 85, and his stepgrandson Joseph Pendrak, 50, were found by relatives just after 12 p.m. Monday at 9 Maywood Ave. Authorities say the two likely died in their sleep as the undetectable, toxic fumes crept into the house.



In the garage, police say they found a cigar stub inside Persson's car, which was out of gas, had a dead battery and the ignition was still on. They say the interior door connecting the garage and house was closed, which has led investigators to believe the gas may have traveled from a gap in the doorway or a ventilation system.



Police have not yet determined how long the car was running before they arrived.



In 2010, a New York state law went into effect requiring all new and existing homes to be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors. Police tell News 12 that the house on Maywood Avenue didn't have detectors.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."