False carbon monoxide detector reading causes scare in Middletown

False carbon monoxide readings scared Orange County residents and business owners Monday night.



At least five tenants of a Main Street apartment building in Middletown said their carbon monoxide detectors gave off dangerously high levels at around 5:15 p.m. Monday.



But fire officials said the bad readings came from a malfunctioning boiler that ran out of water.



Officials were on the scene for a safety check. Tenants were allowed return to their homes, but the building will be without heat until crews repair the boiler.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."