8 cats removed from home after fatal fire
Eight cats have been removed from a Mount Kisco home after a woman died while trying to save them Wednesday morning.
The beloved pets of 86-year-old Chrystine Nicholas were found alive Thursday inside the burned-out home at 538 Main St.
"She loves cats," says David Nicholas, the woman's son. "It was the most important thing in her life."
Chrystine Nicholas was pronounced dead at Northern Westchester Hospital. Her husband, George, is now in a coma.
The SPCA says it is looking for four more cats, which may also still be inside the house.
Veterinarian Megan Caulfield says the cats are being treated for fleas and upper-respiratory infections, but are otherwise healthy.
The cats are not yet available for adoption, but one of the couple's sons is considering taking in a few of them.
Officials say the fire was likely sparked by faulty electrical wiring.