Fire leaves 2 families homeless in Yonkers

A fast-moving fire displaced two families and sent a firefighter to a hospital Wednesday.



The fire started in the garage of a townhouse on McFadden Circle in Yonkers just after 11 a.m. The flames moved quickly up to higher levels of the house, but a firewall stopped the fire from spreading to other townhouses.



The families escaped unharmed, but lost most of their possessions.



Dozens of firefighters battled the fast-moving flames for hours before they were able to get the fire under control.



A firefighter was treated for minor injuries at a hospital.



It is unclear what started the fire, but officials are taking a close look at items that were stored in the garage.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."