Propane leak prompts evacuation in Scarsdale

A leaking propane tank forced the evacuation of a number of homes in a quiet neighborhood of Scarsdale Tuesday afternoon.

Officials say the 500-pound, underground tank was used to heat a house at 11 Mayflower Road. They say that at around 1 p.m., workers from Suburban Propane were working on the tank when its cap blew off, spewing propane into air.

The homeowners were in the process of converting from propane to natural gas. Officials say propane was being emptied from the tank, which is located in the home's rear, when the incident occurred.

Fire officials say the tank was about 55 percent full when its cap blew.

Residents who live several blocks away from the home reported that they could smell the gas.

ConEd has shut off electricity in several homes in the area to cut down on possible ignition sources. Several roads in the surrounding area have been closed. There is no word on when the power will be restored, when the roads will reopen or when evacuated residents will be allowed to return home.

No injuries have been reported.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."