Lightning strike causes fire at Larchmont home

Lightning from a rainy spring storm struck a newly renovated Larchmont home, causing a fire.

The Hazel Lane homeowners say they were watching TV at around 9 a.m. Saturday when they heard what sounded like an "explosion." Lightning had struck their chimney and flashed down the side of their house, likely because of nails or copper wires, according to fire officials.

The lightning strike caused a small fire, which firefighters were able to contain. The electricity is now off at the home, and the homeowners are staying elsewhere.

The owners had just renovated the house.

The homeowners didn't want to speak on camera, but neighbors say they heard the noise. "A very, very, very loud boom and a flash of light outside my kitchen window," says Ann Berlstein. "I thought it hit my house or a tree. My dog came running through the house and jumped into my arms."

Officials say the likelihood of lightning striking a house is very slim.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."