Mount Vernon school evacuated due to gas leak

An elementary school was evacuated in Mount Vernon this morning.



Students and teachers were evacuated from Graham Elementary Magnet School due to a gas leak.



Parents tell News 12 that their children were evacuated to the Mount Vernon Seventh-Day Adventist Church at about 8:45 a.m.



They were told Con Edison cleared the school of danger at 10:15 a.m.



It's unclear whether the reported gas leak was on the property or in the vicinity.



The students returned to the school later in the day, and it appears classes are running on schedule.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."