Officials: Space heater may be to blame for Mount Vernon fire

Officials say that a space heater may be to blame for a house fire in Mount Vernon.



The flames broke out at around 7:30 a.m. Sunday at a home at 33 Darwood Place. Officials say the two-alarm fire started in the basement and spread throughout the house, destroying it.



Firefighters say that there was no water in the nearby hydrants when they got to the scene, forcing them to wait for tankers to arrive.



News 12 is told that five people, whom are all related, were inside at the time. They were able to escape the home with nothing but the clothes on their backs.



The family has set up a GoFundMe page to raise funds to help get them back on their feet.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."