Officials: Extension cord to blame in Yonkers fire

An extension cord led to a fire that displaced nearly two dozen people in Yonkers, fire officials say.



Flames erupted from a multifamily home at 174 Linden St. at around 1:30 a.m. Sunday. Investigators say an extension cord under a mattress on the second floor sparked the fire. It then quickly spread to the other floors.



No tenants were seriously injured. Four cats died as a result of the fire.



Seven families were displaced by the blaze. They are being assisted by the Red Cross.



The building's landlord says that tenants are not currently allowed back inside the building.


sorry to interrupt
your first 5 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 5 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."