3rd person dies following Newburgh CO leak

A third person has died of carbon monoxide poisoning in Newburgh more than a week after a couple in the same apartment building passed away.



On March 4, Jewell Cummings, 65, collapsed and died in her basement apartment at 55 Landers St. The retired bus driver's death was thought to be caused by a heart attack, but a day later, her longtime companion, 63-year-old Robert Richardson, was found dead inside the same apartment.



James Patterson, who lived on the second floor, and nine other residents were evacuated and rushed to the hospital for carbon monoxide poisoning. Patterson fell into a coma before being taken off life support at St. Luke's Hospital Friday.



Neighbors described Patterson as a friendly man who loved to go fishing, and was also committed to his local mosque.



There is no word yet on any funeral arrangements for Patterson.



Officials say a blocked chimney caused the building to fill up with the lethal, odorless gas. The building apparently has no carbon monoxide detectors.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."