Carbon monoxide forces apartment evacuation

An apartment building in Sleepy Hollow had to be evacuated overnight after a carbon monoxide scare.



Fire officials tell News 12 they received calls about carbon monoxide detectors going off around 10 p.m. at a building on Cortlandt Street.



Crews say high levels of the silent killer were found, and the people living there were evacuated.



Officials say it was caused by a faulty hot water heater.



The building was immediately vented and the 30 to 40 residents were allowed back in. One person had to be treated, but is expected to be OK.


sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."