Somers shopping mall evacuated after smoke scare

A shopping mall in Somers was evacuated yesterday after several employees of a CVS were overcome by smoke that spread to several other stores and restaurants.

Authorities say at about 12:15 p.m., several electrical feeder lines nearby failed. Officials say it caused an electrical surge that damaged the air conditioning system inside the CVS, which is housed inside the Somers Town Center.

A total of 12 people were taken to the hospital to be treated for exposure to the fumes.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."