Nearby shelter evacuated during downtown W. Plains blaze

Firefighters believe an electrical short may be to blame for an early morning fire in downtown White Plains that damaged two businesses and forced the evacuation of a neighboring shelter.

Passing police officers smelled smoke and then saw flames shooting from the White Plains Furniture Store on East Post Road around 1:45 a.m. yesterday.

The nearby Open Arms Shelter was forced to evacuate, but none of the 30 people who were there at the time were injured.

Investigators believe the fire started in the back section of the furniture store after an electrical short in an extension cord.

The furniture store is located just two blocks from the Bengal Tiger Restaurant, which went up in flames on July 7 in a fire that destroyed several businesses and injured 26 firefighters.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."