Officials: Goldens Bridge fire caused by fireplace ashes

A Goldens Bridge community rushed to the aid of one of their neighbors last night after a fast-moving fire lit up the night sky and forced one family from their home.

Officials say the intense fire started inside the garage of a Cornwall Court home at around 8:30 p.m. They say the fire was accidental and caused by smoldering ashes from a fireplace.

Nearly 70 firefighters from departments across northern Westchester battled the flames, which quickly turned dangerous due to several explosions from the cars and other flammable items stored in the garage.

The three family members inside were able to escape unharmed, but several firefighters sustained minor injuries and were treated for smoke inhalation.

The American Red Cross has made arrangements for the family at a hotel.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."