8 hospitalized after grill is brought inside WC home

Eight people, including four children, had to be rushed to the hospital Sunday with carbon monoxide poisoning after a small, outdoor hibachi grill was brought inside a Sleepy Hollow home.

Investigators say that some people at the house decided to grill indoors to stay warm and for the convenience, which caused the release of the deadly carbon monoxide into the confined space.

Sleepy Hollow Fire Chief John Korzelius says that investigators are checking if the basement apartment, where the grill was brought, had any carbon monoxide detectors. He is urging everyone to avoid grilling indoors.

One victim was taken to a New York City hospital for hyperbaric-chamber treatment to rid the body of carbon monoxide and the rest are expected to be fine.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."