Fire in Elmsford leaves homeowner injured

An elderly Elmsford man is recovering in the hospital after a fire ripped through his home today.

The fire broke out around noon at 34 North Perkins Ave. Firefighters were able to contain the fire, but discovered the man's dog dead inside the home. Investigators say the fire started on the first floor in the living room and that it appears the man tried to extinguish it himself, suffering burns as a result. Neighbors say they heard smoke detectors going off, but think the man was trying to save his dog before leaving the home.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."