Investigators: Stray cigarette sparked Elmsford blaze

Investigators say that careless smoking is to blame for a two-alarm fire in Elmsford yesterday that quickly gutted a home, sent one man to the hospital and killed his dog.

Firefighters say that an unattended cigarette sparked the blaze around noon yesterday on the first floor of a two-family home on Perkins Avenue.

The resident inside is believed to have tried to put the fire out himself with a garden hose, suffering minor burns in the process.

Neighbors say they heard smoke detectors sounding, but believe that the resident may not have wanted to leave without his pet.

Fire in Elmsford leaves homeowner injured

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."