2 hospitalized after Mt. Vernon fire

An overnight fire in Mt. Vernon has left two hospitalized and four families homeless.

The fire broke out at an apartment building on East Lincoln Avenue in the early morning hours.

Firefighters were able to contain the flames but not before two people were injured and required hospitalization.

Firefighters say they believe the fire may be caused by space heaters too close to combustible materials.

Officials say that great caution should be used when utilizing space heaters and that all combustible materials should be kept at least three feet away from the heater.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."