Fire official: Careless smoking caused fatal Yonkers fire

Officials say they have determined that careless smoking was the cause of a fatal fire in Yonkers Sunday night.

Investigators say that the fire started in an illegal basement apartment that didn?t have a fire exit.

Gerald Murphy, 51, was found dead in his apartment on Lindsey Street. His girlfriend remains in critical condition following the fire.

City officials say that the landlord of the building has a history of building violations.

Inspectors were expected to tour the building on Tuesday to determine if it is safe for the other families to return.

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."