6 escape Mt. Vernon house fire unharmed

A Mount Vernon family is homeless for the holidays after their house burned down early Monday morning.

The Barnes family says it woke up to heavy smoke shortly before 5 a.m. at its South Second Avenue home. Fire officials say the six people who lived in the three-story building all escaped safely.

Officials say flames broke out in the rear of the building and quickly moved up the walls and to the roof. Nearly two dozen firefighters battled the fire for three hours.

Calvin Barnes, 7, who lived on the first floor with his mother and sisters, said the family got out quickly. "I don't have nothing but my clothes and my family," he said. "It's so sad."

sorry to interrupt
your first 20 are free
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please enjoy 20 complimentary views of articles, photos, and videos during the next 30 days.
you have reached your 5 view limit
Access to News 12 is free for Optimum, Comcast®, Time Warner® and Service ElectricSM customers.
Please login, create an account or subscribe to continue enjoying News12.
Our sign-up page is undergoing maintenance and is not currently available. However, you will be given direct access to news12.com while we complete our upgrade.
When we are back up and running you will be prompted at that time to complete your sign in. Until then, enjoy the local news, weather, traffic and more that's "as local as local news gets."